All Or Nothing Day

I've been anxiously waiting for this weekend for a long time now.  This weekend has so many emotions wrapped into it, it is hard to explain.



Let me back up a bit.  Last year, I agreed to be the runner for a relay team for Tri For A Cure with my friend, Stacy.  I seriously had no idea what I was getting myself into.  Not the relay part. But the emotional piece.  The race starts off at a gorgeous setting on the Coast of Maine - next to one of my mom's favorite lighthouses - Bug Light.  The ceremony at the start of the race is moving - honoring all of the women who have fought, won or lost the battle to cancer.  I wasn't prepared for this last year, but I am sure happy I witnessed it.  I was (and still am) amazed by the stories behind the women who started this race and some of the stories I heard at the race.  I knew at that moment that I would be doing the full tri this year.   



Back when the lottery opened up, I put my name in immediately.  Lucky for me, my name was drawn in the first round.  I knew the swimming and biking would be no problem for me.  But the swimming.  Yes, that terrifies me.   But that small part of a race is nothing compared to the pain and suffering people experience when battling cancer.  If my loved ones - Vicky, Carissa, and Janie can battle this horrible disease, I can shove myself into a wetsuit and doggy paddle 1/3 mile in the ocean.  

last year


This morning, I loaded my bike up in my car and headed down to South Portland for registration and to rack my bike.  Tears overwhelmed me and I had a very therapeutic cry, missing my mom, knowing she is going to be with me tomorrow.    



Tomorrow is about so many things.  It's about honoring women (and men) who have fought the cancer battle and won.  It's about giving strength to to those who are currently battling this disease.  It's about honoring those who lost that battle.   It's about giving strength to the families and friends who provide strength to cancer fighters.   It's about facing my own fears and living life to the fullest.  

Everyday should be about putting it out there.  Living full hearted life and giving it your all.  

each athlete was given a scarf stitched with love in honor of a cancer survivor
This past week I was coincidentally contacted by Heather, who was diagnosed with Mesothelioma 10 years ago.  She looked cancer in the eye and said no.   She is the woman behind All or Nothing Day, which is tomorrow.  While I don't even know Heather in person, her story is incredibly inspirational to me, which is why I am happy to share her story and All or Nothing Day.  I want to share the message that we need to live each day like it's our last.   Thank you for contacting me, Heather.  I am proud of you and your message. 

I will wear this scarf with honor and remember to live each day like it's my last


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

Spandits Review & Giveaway

ArmPocket Review + Giveaway