Marathon Training - Third Times a Charm

13 more weeks until Sugarloaf!  At times I feel like "bring it!" and other moments I'm thinking "oh crap, why am I doing another marathon?"

So how is training going?  Well, I'm only 3 weeks into my Hanson plan and I'm feeling pretty good.  I was a bit nervous that I wasn't going to be able to handle this intense plan, but somehow I'm doing it (so far!).  

This week has been a weird weather week - but then again, it's winter, in Maine, so all weeks are weird.  Last weekend we had more than 2 feet dumped on us, then we had a few days of 40F+ days, and then more snow yesterday and today.  I did get outside three times this week for some great running with Pepper and in my new Saucony Virratas.   Review coming soon - but I can tell you after 4 runs in them, they are feeling awesome!

6 miles on a glorious sunny, spring-like day in my new Virratas


What was I nervous about with Hanson plan? 
1.  Running 6 days a week.  I know, a lot of people do it, but I've gotten quite comfortable with running 5 days and resting 2 days.  Pushing myself outside of my comfort zone was intimidating, but somehow I'm surviving.  I can only hope that I feel this good in the weeks to come.

2.  Long, speed runs, mid-week.  Right now my mid-week speed runs are about 7 miles, so they are doable.  Soon, they begin to increase to 10 milers.  I am sure I have the ability to do them, it's the time factor that makes me nervous.

I did love that this week's long run was 10 miles.  Yes.  I can definitely handle that!
Poor Jill and Stacy had 14 to do today.  I kind of felt bad for them.  

What do I love about the plan?   
I am loving how easy it is to read and actually understand my plan.  The hardest part was picking my marathon goal time, but once I chose that (after hounding Ward for a few days) - my pacing for long runs, easy runs, tempo runs, speed and strength runs are laid out for me.  Right now I'm having a hard time actually slowing down to my suggested "easy" pacing of 9:39 - 10:21, but as the intensity and mileage increases, maybe I won't have that "issue" anymore.  


How is my training meshing with Best Body Bootcamp?  Right now it's getting a little harder to fit in strength training after or before a run and now that I run 6 days, it's even harder.  I did miss a day this past week.  I felt bad, but I needed to listen to my body.

However, I did replace that missed day with some body love with a 2 hour Yin Yoga w/ Foam Rolling workshop at Freeport Yoga Company yesterday.   I didn't take any pictures of yoga, but I did take a picture of the absolutely adorable hooks Terry has.   I really want these in my house.  Aren't they freaking adorable?




Back to the actual yoga class.  Stacy and I went together.  And Stacy summed it up perfectly "it hurt so good".   I've foam rolled at home, but never in a class, with an instructor guiding me and explaining it to me.   I've never rolled out my quads and my back and boy do I need to concentrate on them.  Tears came to my eyes. Seriously.  And the slow, deep stretches of yin yoga - perfect!  I need to make this a monthly goal.  And if I can't do that - I have to at least get to another session before Sugarloaf.  My body will thank me.

How's the weather in your part of the country?  How's your training going?  What shoes are you liking right now?








Comments

  1. I have gone to Terry's classes while visiting my mother-in-law. She is AMAZING! Jealous that you were able to attend the foam rolling class :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that plan sounds intense! My first marathon isn't until June 23rd (I'm running the 15K at Sugarloaf). I'm running 4-5 days/week with one day for strength training and one day for rest. So far so good. I had 7 weeks off after surgery in early Dec, and BOY has it been slow getting my pace and mileage back up. Between now and my marathon I have a Marathon Relay (Hyannis 2/24), Race the Runways Half (4/6), Sugarloaf 15K (May 19?), that will bring me up to June 23... YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... I almost forgot, shoes! I have 3 new pairs I'm rotating right now: Saucony Triumph 10 (my preferred dreadmill shoe), Mizuno Wave Rider 15s for short/mid distances, and Mizuno Wave Creation 14s for distance. Haven't quite decided on my race shoe, but I've got plenty of time to figure that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about the Hanson plan, maybe I will check it out if I ever do another marathon. I originally wanted to try for Sugarloaf too. Maybe 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh.. I didnt realize how close Sugarloaf is getting and I have been pretty lazy about my training for my 15k. I guess I'm going to have to get prepping or I'm going to be in major trouble.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started following you! I love your blog! On to my second marathon this fall, and looking forawrd to watching your training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weather has been erratic - crazy cold some days, sunny and 50° with some wind today. I'll take it as I try to take advantage and get outside when the nice days come around. Training is "ok" -nothing to write home about. I'm still sticking with my stability shoes - Asics. I've thought about going to a more neutral shoe, but then I think "If it ain't broke..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather has affected our training, the Hanson Method intriques me and I ordered the book last night, so I can read more about it, but only thing I am not sure of is the length of the long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather here has been cold and windy. I am so ready for warmer weather, of course that means more winds! I only run 4 days a week so that plan would be a little hard for me too. I am hoping to step up the running this fall once I have both kids in school and marathon number two in 2014. looking for redemption!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The plan does sound intense but sometimes it what we need to push ourselves to test our bodies.

    I tried out a pair of Brooks Pure Connect the other day and they were fantastic, supportive (it felt like I had a running shoe on) but light enough to not weigh my feet down, wish I could have worn them for a long run but I got the sizing wrong. Wore my Nike Free 3s this weekend for my half LOVE them still :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you are loving the new Sauconys, I would have loved to try them :)

    Our plan is going well, but we did change it from 5 days to 4 days of running. But we only have a few more weeks until half Ironman training starts and we would have cut back to 4 days anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The yoga class sounds perfect! I would never think to use my foam roller for my back. I bet that felt amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!