Work Out Wednesday - Biking My Butt Off!



Part of marathon training this time around is focusing on at least one day of cycling - this is mostly done inside on my stationary bike mostly due to convenience (time, child care, etc).  But, silly me, I have a road bike.  I need to use it!  The problem is that I get so nervous when I get on it.  



What happens if I'm out and I get a flat?   I cold call Ward, but he doesn't always answer his phone.   How do I even get my bike ready for a ride?  How do I pump up my tire?  Shifting?  Clipless pedals? The whole biking thing can be rather overwhelming.



Thankfully I received 3 PERFECT BOOKS to help settle my nerves and provide me with all of the information I need to seriously get out there.




The first book - Essential Road Bike Maintenance Handbook by Todd Downs (suggested price of $14.99)  was the first one I opened.  My tires were flat and I had no idea what to do!  Yes pump them up...but they aren't the standard valve size.  Now what?




What I loved about this is in the book there is a quick link to a video.  Quite easy and very non threatening.





I don't know about you, but entering into the biking world can be rather intimidating.  When I ask Ward things - he just does it for me or forgets.  I need to understand how to do things by myself.



The next book - Bike Your Butt Off - by Selene Yeager and Leslie Bonci (suggested price of $19.99), is a great resource for those who want to shed weight through biking.  The author provides you with weekly workout and food logs, cycling workouts and skill drills, cross training and strengthening exercises, and the basic rules of the road.




Which, I admit.  I did need to read that section.  I knew some of them...but really lacked the knowledge when it comes to the rules of the road!


Finally, The Big Book of Cycling for Beginners - by Tori Bortman (suggested price of $21.99).   This big book reference guide is essential for all cyclists, in my opinion, beginner or experienced.  My favorite part of the book was the basic riding and etiquette skills. The key to this section is being a safe, well informed cyclist.  This part definitely helped me overcome some of my fears with cycling.



Tell me - do you bike?  What are your favorite resources?

Disclaimer:  I was sent the 3 books above for the purpose of a review through my partnership with Runners World.  I was not required to give a positive review.  As always, all opinions on my blog are 100% my own.  




Comments

  1. Oh cool. Thanks for sharing these. I do bike, very timidly. Scares the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these resources. I want a road bike SO BADLY that if I ever do get one, I will definitely look into these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally don't do long bike rides alone because if I do get a flat, i'm not totally sure I can fix it on my own =/


    I'm training for a70.3 and most of my long bike rides are either close to civilization or in a group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy Silvia CapenAugust 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM

    I'm more of an indoor biker for fitness and outdoor biker for fun. I ride with my daughter outside but for me I always get nervous about the traffic around me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer SiewertsenAugust 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM

    Love these resources. I'm interested in biking but i'm soooo scared of the road. Memories of a bad bike wreck as a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

Spandits Review & Giveaway

ArmPocket Review + Giveaway