My Little Farming World

Since we've moved into our old farmhouse 8 years ago, I've been on this kick to slowly break Ward down and get him to let me have a farm.  I'm not talking full on farm, but I'd love to have a horse or two, some cows, goats, ducks...you get the picture.




A few weeks back we decided that we were going to upgrade the chicken coops to have one larger one.  At the same time, my flock of hens weren't really laying a whole lot of eggs.  They were getting older and I was getting a bit nervous because I really didn't know what to do with them when they were completely done laying eggs.  When I posted the coop in craigslist, I added the chickens into the deal for free.  We had a buyer within a day.  That was easy!    Now with cash in hand, Ward's new task was to build the final and better coop.   And that he did!


It's 6'x10' and on the inside there are two "rooms".  I put it that way because the separation of said "rooms" is just simply fencing.  Now that we have a new coop, we needed new chickens!  Of course.  Right?  I found a farm in craigslist (I sure do love craigslist) - that raises chicks and sells them when they reach 8 weeks old (which is the age when their feathers come in and they can be in the coop without a heat lam).  I was all over that - because I wasn't sure how to raise new baby egg layers and meat birds at the same time with the limited amount of space but most of all, with the new batch of girls being 8 weeks old, it also means I'll have eggs this July.

Of course the coop is not finished, but it's finished enough (for now). Ward needs to get the little door completed and build the fenced in/protected yard for them.  But there's still time.




Now I have a place for my chickens - with much more space for them, and a place for the feed, watering cans, supplies and a place to brood my meat bird chicks.   Yes, that's right - we are getting meat birds again this summer.  Last year I raised 10, this year 30.



In addition to all of the chicken action going on at our house, Jill and I also decided that we are going to grow our own garden.  Last week we had the garden rototilled and our seeds were delivered.  Gardening day is coming up soon.  Lots of planning to do with this one.  I want it to be successful.   I've done veggie gardens before, but stopped for a few years because I really didn't have the time with two young kids.  Now that they are getting bigger and can help, I'm all about taking on the garden again.



What should I add next, a cow?


Comments

  1. All I want are a few chickens, but I have been unable to convince the hubby. How did you convince Ward to get on board with your mini farm dreams?! The coop looks great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told him I promised I would take care of them. Plus we have the space. The only rule he has is that the chickens cannot go in the huge chicken barn that we have! Ironic, huh? But it is where his workshop is and we do store boats and cars in it. Probably wouldn't be good to have the chickens in there too!!!!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh love where this is all going; I would think goat or a cow .... or maybe a horse but thats not going to feed you in any way!!! It is so difficult to decide - what about a goat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do see a goat coming some day. Perhaps not this summer, maybe next!!! I do know Izzy would LOVE a horse though!

      Delete
  3. I love this! Someday I would like a little farmette as well, just a few of different animals like you said. You are already on your way with the chickens, the new coop looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome, Jen! The chicken coop is beautiful!! I have always wanted to raise chickens! I have also been reading up on getting a hive and keeping bees so we can harvest our own honey. I'm just afraid of getting stung--even with the suit & smoke. lol
    I just got the first of our seeds for our garden yesterday! So excited! I hope you'll post about when and what you plant. Fun! And yes, I vote for a cow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh Bees! We have a friend who does them. I love his honey. Yum! I would be afraid of getting stung too! I will definitely be posting and sharing the garden progress!

      Delete
  5. this is pretty awesome! are you going to add flowers too? don't forget the marigolds! :) I wish I had space to plant flowers... I have a TINY spot. I might get Lj to help me pick out some. We shall see. (Negative of living in a condo!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darn! I should have posted pics of my other gardens! I have a huge flower garden and I have a berry garden too! Apparently I collect gardens. I am definitely going to get some marigolds in there for the tomatoes! Tiny spots can = great container gardens!!!

      Delete
  6. Very nice job on the chicken coop! My parents want a pig, but as a pet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were actually going to get a pig to raise for slaughter. But they are so stinky! Stinkier than chickens. Maybe some day!

      Delete
  7. I'm a through and through city girl but we had a country house as a kid, I've always been someone envious of people with farms!!! It looks amazing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really nice coup. I grew up with my grandparents raising chickens. My mom does now actually. Not sure I'd want to raise anything larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that they are easy. Other animals would be more time consuming & it would be harder to go away on vacations.....

      Delete
  9. I love the coup!! I honestly wish we lived in the country and I would totally get me some chickens. Course my neighbor, living in the downtown area mind you of 360,000 people, have chickens. And let me tell you, they are ANNOYING. Every time I go outside I just shake my head. I can't wait until we move somewhere more rural!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about chickens in the city - they can be loud! Especially those roosters. We won't be getting anymore of those though.

      Delete
  10. Farming is definitely more my husband's territory, but that is a fine looking coop. Glad you found a place to get your young chickens. The veggies to come from that garden already have my mouth watering, but I just am not up to the work they involve when I can just purchase someone else's hard work at the farmer's market and support local folks. Wuss - I know. Good luck with all your stuff. I have a friend that would say a GOAT should be next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love buying from local farms - I just thought I should do it myself (well, with Jill) since I do have the space!!!

      Delete
  11. I vote for the cow to be the next addition to the farm. We raised cows and had a few chickens when I was growing up and I loved every minute of it. Having a big garden is a lot of fun too. We did that for a couple of years when my sister and I were younger and we worked in it every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!