A Little Maine Gem


This past Friday, I took the kids to this cute little beach in Phippsburg.  It's actually called Bate-Morse Mountain Conservation Area or as I've heard it called Morse Mountain.  I don't know why, but I had no idea this place existed.    I need to get out more.



We had three busy days earlier in the week in Boston, so what we really needed was a low key adventure day in our own state.  


What is it with boys climbing up on huge rocks and insisting on tons of pictures?  



What's great about it is that it's a 2 mile hike into the mountain and beach area and then a 2 mile hike back.  The hike isn't challenging at all and the hiking trail is quite wide and easy to walk on.   I did use my Garmin to measure the distance to ease my curiosity and so I could really answer the questions like "how much longer?  are we there yet?"  


Since I had never been and I thought I was going for a true hike, I took Izzy and put her in the backpack.  Izzy was a trooper in the backpack, especially after never really going for any hikes or walks in it before.  




The hike in was so easy and gradual, I really had no idea we had climbed a mountain.  At the top of the mountain was also a vacation home that can be rented out.  I just looked up how much it costs to rent these vacation homes and they are $3000 for week during peak tourist times.  Ouch!  I'll just stick to the 50 minute drive.  






I really don't know what I was thinking.  My back was so sore after this hike.  Izzy IS 36 lbs now and to be honest, I don't think I've ever put her in the backpack.  Ward and I used to hike with Tucker in the backpack quite a bit when he was younger and I don't remember it being so challenging.  Perhaps I was thinking "I'm tough, I can handle this. No sweat!"  Next time we go, we'll take the jogger with us!  The trail was really wide and easy to navigate - it will surely accommodate a jogger for sure.  



You can't see it, but there is a lighthouse out in the distance.  



The beach was perfect!  There were only a handful of people.  It was such a gorgeous area.  The boys immediately started collecting shells while Izzy had a blast playing in the sand.  


Tucker really wanted to bring this buoy back with him.   I finally convinced him that it would be a long 2 mile hike back holding that thing.  




She is loving beach life.  I see many days at the beach this summer.  





 Of course there was more rock climbing.  



My tough guys!  


We will definitely be heading back here several times this summer.  Such a beautiful little spot.  If you are ever in the area, you need to check it out!



Comments

  1. this is my kind of family adventure. I have a hiker pack for Logan. He gets tired a lot faster than one would think, so it's nice to have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have. I just wish she wasn't so heavy or that Ward would have been with me to carry her. ha ha ha!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful hike and seems like it was a perfect family day.. I would love to visit there someday and btw- you have a gorgeous family J . Enjoy the little bit that we have left of this weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful! Thank you - I think they are quite attractive as well, but I may be a bit biased. :) Back to work tomorrow. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. So beautiful. What a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yikes talk about adding on some intensity carrying her! Love the beach views ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos! Just think, you burned some extra calories hiking the trail with Izzy. I don't know how you got her off you back by yourself. I had to have Scott do it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll call it strength training! I nearly threw my back out trying to get her off and may have scared her a bit. The most challenging part was getting her back on my back. I used the sign at the entry way to the beach - I propped her up on it and got it on as fast as I could before she fell over. I am sure it was quite a sight to see. Ha ha ha!

      Delete
  6. Awesome family adventure! For the record, I think 36lbs is quite a haul in a backpack, but you beasted through. Love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful!! I love the beach too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you mentioned the lighthouse, now I'm curious which one it is! Mike and I should go there in the summer with you guys to see it!

    Are the kids going to MDI when you run the marathon? If you have time you should definitely try to do some of the outdoorsy stuff, well if you feel up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in Bath and love going to "Morse Mountain" and the beaches in Phippsburg. Glad that you had such a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a great place for a family adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like fun! Your kids are at a great age to enjoy that... such sweet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect beach! I love hikes like that. We have used our packs a few times with our kids but not recently. I'm not sure they'll even want to go in them anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!