Some Like It Hot




Last Monday, Stacy and I ventured out to a hot yoga class at Wicked Good Yoga in Wiscasset.   It completely made sense to me to try out a hot yoga class when this is what I saw for a temperature on my way to class.  Brrr.

Dear Spring - we want the 70 & 80 degree days back.
I know we live in Maine but I don't like being cold anymore.  

What I liked about this class - 
1.  I love that the instructor walked around and adjusted us (me) when needed - I'd much rather be corrected than think that I'm doing it right when I'm actually not.  
2.  The class was 90 minutes long (although I could only stay for 75 of it because Ward had a soccer game, so I had to rush to get home)
3.  I loved that it was hot in the room - I felt like I was able to get more out of the class and the stretches.
4.  Some of the poses were a bit different than what we've been doing in our regular yoga class and I like the change in routine.
5.  The room is set at 90 degrees and 60% humidity.  


What I learned about myself and hot yoga - 
1.  I was a little nervous (okay, a lot) about hot yoga so I drank a ton of water prior to class and 1/2 way through the class I thought my bladder was going to burst.  I hated having to sneak off downstairs to use the facilities.  
2. I should not have worn shorts - I was slipping all over the place!  Next time wear my yoga capris.  
3.  I need a new mat.  The piece of crap (cheapo Target mat) was falling apart before my eyes during class and I had little bits of purple stuck all over my legs.  
4.  I felt incredible after this class - quite relaxed and yet, still like I had a great workout.  I did feel the burn in my shoulders for a couple of days after the class as well.  Another great sign (to me) that I got in a good workout.  

This is when I wished I lived a bit closer to Wiscasset because I would definitely go again.  I really don't have the extra hour in my day for driving, especially when my work commute is already close to an hour and a half (which includes day care pickup/drop off).   This means weekday yoga classes are probably not going to work for me at all; however, there are always Saturdays and then there's this awesome thing that is only 44 school days away called summer.  Perhaps I can get there more often.  

Comments

  1. I haven't done hot yoga yet, but I can't flippin' wait since it's so cold here, too!! I used to do Bikram all the time though, so I pretty much know what to expect. Fingers crossed for more Sunday yoga days for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE hot yoga.
    it stretches me.
    body and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE hot yoga (and all forms of yoga for that matter)
    and yes a good mat is a 'must have'
    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your yoga mat suggestions? I am becoming a yoga addict. I just need a studio closer to home and I'd be there all of the time!

      Delete
  4. I haven't done hot yoga yet, only "regular" yoga and I still sweat! I have to use a towel on my mat so I don't slide everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I slip all of the time with "regular" yoga too!

      Delete
  5. Gross! Wicken Good Yoga has beautiful bamboo flooring - and I didn't notice any gross smells. Thank goodness for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it! I like hot yoga too, but haven't been in a while. Too bad it's so far away:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you liked it! I just started a few weeks ago and totally fell in love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked Bikram, but found that I just couldn't carve that amount of time out of my day. Luckily I've found a close by "warm yoga" that does Vinyasa flow that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! I hate when I drink too much and feel like I am going to burst! I had an ultrasound (not for pregnancy, just some stomach issues) once and the amount of water I had to drink for that almost killed me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so great! I've never tried hot yoga but I need to. I also need a better yoga mat. : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!