Taper Week



I’ve been home all day with a sick 2 year old.  It’s been sunny but windy.  I really wanted to just put her in the jogging stroller and go for a run.  But, it’s taper week. 



Tapering is a necessary evil that gives runners that time to recover from the weeks/months of training we’ve put into such events.  Tapering allows our bodies time to recuperate. 

Amount to Reduce Mileage Before Race
Race Distance
3rd week before race
2nd week before race
Race Week
Marathon
20%
40%
60%
15K to 30K
0%
30%
50%
5K to 10K
0%
20%
50%

It is suggested to reduce your mileage by reducing the distance of your workouts while reducing the number of runs moderately.  The above chart suggests that I reduce my total running (pre-race) by 50%.  If I normally run 26 (ish) miles a week, I should only do 13 before the Saturday race.  Now, if I start my week on Sunday, I did 7 miles on Sunday + the 4 miles on Monday = 11 miles already.  I really only have 2 more miles to do this week. 

I dislike taper week so much because I love to eat.  Running 5 out of 7 days a week allows me to eat and not really worry about what I eat.  During taper time, I feel that I have to seriously reduce my calorie intake and I just don’t want to do that.   Ward says a few days of not running, or at least running as much as I like, isn’t going to squash my metabolism.  I beg to differ. 

Another reason is that running is my anxiety drug.  Dare I say I am physically addicted to running.  I crave that physical outlet daily.  Like I said above, I run 5 out of 7 days a week.  On the two days I don’t run, I still crave it.  I compromise by doing another physical activity like a Jillian Michaels DVD. 

The plan for the rest of the week is to not run (a lot).  I am planning on biking tonight and tomorrow night.  I might go for a super easy job Thursday.  It won’t be anything substantial, perhaps a 2 mile jog.  Then Friday will be rest and a pasta dinner at Jess’s house.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!