What Do You Do With Your Bib #s?

Do you keep your bib numbers?  I haven't always kept them, but once I caught the racing bug, I started keeping them (after writing the date, time and place on the bib).    Once I started keeping them, Ward started keeping his.  Next thing you know, we had a huge collection of bib numbers, race pictures, ribbons, and medals.

"before"

At first I thought keeping two bulletin boards would be enough.  Nope.  If we were going to accommodate the never-stopping collections, the one bulletin board per person was going to grow to several bulletin boards or begin to cover an entire wall.  Who knows, it could turn into an entire room.   We do have a nice sized house, but we definitely don't have the space to dedicate a room to our running  collection.  Not yet anyway.  Maybe once the kids are gone.



One day I set out to organize our collection.  It took forever.  And apparently we never took the safety pins off of the bib #s either, so I ended up with quite a stash of those.  I will never be without a safety pin, ever.

only a small fraction of the safety pin collection

After some consolidation, I decided I was going to make each of us racing books.  Very simple idea and you don't need much at all.




What you need: 
- book ring fasteners (1 in)
- scissors
- scrapbook paper
- scrapbooking stickers
- creativity 


Lucky for me, we had all of these things here already.  Yes, even the creativity. 






After I got my bib #s onto the rings, I cut two pieces of scrapbook paper to the size of my largest bib #.  One for the front and one for the back.    



I could have just left it with just the plain scrapbook paper.  But I had some chipboard letters that I haven't used yet (because I used to scrapbook and really need to get working on poor Izzy's scrapbook. Tucker has a good 5 to 6 years covered and Izzy has 4 or 5 months covered.  I am a slacker mom.).  



The finished product!  Easy peasy.   



And I have an incredible place to store my medals, thanks to Carrie at Maine Mom on the Run.  Yes, I am sharing my medal rack (for the time being) with Ward (to the left) and the kids (center).  Someday, I will have so many medals they will have to have move out or get their own rack!  



Comments

  1. Oh I like the racing book! I don't have quite so many, but I would like to someday! :) I also want to make a quilt from my race t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the quilt idea as well. That's fun. I probably should have kept my race shirts and did something like that. I tend to toss them now because I had too many. So happy you like the book!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I definitely need to do this with ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!!! I haven't finished Ward's yet. Heck, I don't even know where his got to......

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS IDEA! I have kept a couple special bibs, but I usually get rid of them, just due to lack of space. Definitely going to start building my own race book now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen cute things like that before but I am so not creative! mine are all currently stuffed in a bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to do the bib book:) So cool! I love the medal rack too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking of taking all mine, (or maybe just this years) get a big picture frame and do something with an ironMan theme and race pics from the upcoming day...

    We'll see if I actually get around to it, and don't just continue to throw things in the shoe box...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you blog about it? :) And your day is coming right up! 6 weeks.......

      Delete
  7. Such a good idea! I've been wondering what to do with my first one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bib idea! I wish I'd kept them from my very first half, but I didn't. Oh well! Might do this with the ones I have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic! I'm definitely going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your race book turned out awesome! I purchased an 8x8 scrapbook, bought extra dividers and decorated the front. Not quite as economic as yours, but it was all on sale. The bibs slide right into the dividers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you can slide your bib #s out! That's a great idea too!

      Delete
  11. I love what you did with your bibs! I keep all mine and used to have them in a drawer, but now they are all on my corkboard. This is going to go on a list of things to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredibly easy!!! You need to show off those awesome races!

      Delete
  12. Love that! When I saw the title of the post I was like Make a scrapbook! I only have the one from the St Paddy's Day race :D Can't wait to get more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was thinking scrapbook too....but I've been SOOOO horrible about completing Izzy's scrapbook, I'd never complete this one! But I could make it more of a scrapbook by adding my race pics to the back of the bib #s.

      Delete
  13. That is a great idea. I have all of two bibs that I've kept after 15 years of racing...pretty sad! I suppose it's never too late to start...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I decided to do a similar thing with mine, but put it up on the wall. I love what you did and excited that you shared it.

    Here are mine that I built: http://pavementrunner.com/diy-medal-bib-holder/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the racing book idea. All of my bibs are in a folder next to a shoe box full of my medals. I really need to make a cute display for all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw a cute idea for having coasters made out of your favorite racing bibs. I'm sure you could find a source on line but I thought it was a great idea for really special events.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this idea! I generally keep mine for a week or two while I'm still feeling nostalgic, and then eventually my husband convinces me to recycle it as I have to great storing option. Might have to start saving them up for this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your medal rack looks really beautiful! I like what you did with your race bibs too. I kid you not when I say that your bulletin board and mine were identical until I put my race bibs on a holder.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this, and I plan to do something along the lines of a rack for my very first half (coming up this month!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the bib book! I currently hang mine in my work cube, but as my collection grows I'm running out of room

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bib book is awesome! I keep mine clipped up on a rack in my laundry room.... & I have a medal rack like yours that says "run like a girl" & is turquoise! Love seeing my accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a GREAT idea! Can I share it on my blog, please? My 15yo niece and I have 2 runs lined up this year and I think she would love to do this with bibs. We're going to make ours this summer after our first run of the season.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!