Spring, Is that Really You?

Since Wednesday, we're been blessed with blue skies, temperatures 40F and higher.  This means lots of smiles and great running weather.

After being so sick, I've decided to get back into my marathon plan a lot more slowly.  And I'm going to listen to my body.   I don't need anymore setbacks.

Wednesday, my first day back to running (again), I went out for 3.5 miles.  It was gorgeous and sunny. Perfect!  I wanted to run further, faster, but knew it wasn't the best idea.

Tucker's parent teacher conference was Thursday, so I thought it would be perfect to run from home to his school and just meet he and Ward there.  And I was right.  After taking off quite a bit of time from running, I just about sprinted to his school with a 7:47 average pace for 3.3 miles, and I took a extra loop along the river.




Friday, after Tucker had his cast put on, I was able to get out for a 4 mile run, without long sleeves!  Yes - I got to wear a t-shirt on my run (and capris).  It was perfect!  

Saturday was my long run day.  Since this week was kind of a wash in terms of marathon training, I didn't know if I was going to be able to actually complete the 15 miler.  So I chose my route carefully to keep myself sort of close to home so I could call it quits and head back early or I could just call Ward.  However, the run was just perfect.  I completed 15.4 miles at a 9 min average pace. My goal pace.  Awesome.  A great confidence builder.  


After the run, I wanted to just stay outside and enjoy the weather.  I also had to get Tucker out of the house.  He's been on the couch for days.  And Izzy's been begging to go to a playground - so off to the playground we went!  



Best decision ever.  Tucker got some fresh air and was moving around, swinging and climbing.  Izzy had a blast.  And I got to lay on the black pavement and get some sun.  I call it a perfect day.  

Sunday, another perfect sunny day.  The planned called for 8 miles.  But I was exhausted.  I was thinking if I completed 4 to 6 miles, I'd be happy.  But about 1.5 miles into the run I felt dizzy, so I called it quits and headed home.  Today wasn't my day for a run.  I'll try again tomorrow.  

Not exactly the 55 miles my Hanson plan called for - but I completed 29 miles this week.   But I'd rather be healthy and stronger.  I was able to stay on track with the plan up until the awful fever hit, so I'm not too worried about the marathon.  I still got in some key speed/strength workouts and I got in my long runs.  And I still have 7 more weeks until Sugarloaf.  No sweat!  





Comments

  1. Healthy and strong is definitely the better option; well done on a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great week! I love that you can run to the school. My kid's school is 18 miles away, I might try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS WEATHER!! I is definitely still cool, but we are getting there! This winter has felt LONG so the sunshine is welcome on all my runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are running so smart, Jen! I am soooo glad to see signs of spring around Iowa too. Can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a great week and being smart is the best way to do it. Training plans never work out for me 100% of the time and I just try to get myself back on track some way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for some awesome running weather and some great runs! Love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on your mileage Jen! I think you are smart for getting back to it slowly:) Glad you are feeling better and hooray for some sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are feeling better! Loving this weather ...even the rain today smelled like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are feeling goooood. So happy for that and your 15.4 miler was awesome... good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart idea to ease back in! The weather was nice for a few days here, then got cold again (snowed a little too), but now I think it's going to keep getting warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! Loved the Diet Bet thank you just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad both you and Tucker are feeling better! :) Glad to see you're still rocking the running...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you guys are feeling better and that the weather has been much nicer. It's in the 70's here this week but I'm afraid it won't stay that way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!