Gasping Gobbler 5k recap

I enjoy local races.  I really do.  But for some reason, I had the hardest time going to this 5k.   It's only 3.1 miles.  Seriously!  I just ran a marathon.  I should be excited about shorter distance.  I should!  But the thought of a 5k scares the crap out of me.   Especially this one, I haven't run it for 4 years since I earned myself a massive a PR there.  I needed to run this 5k to get over my fear of 5ks.  



I wasn't going to go.  I had about 20 excuses why I shouldn't.  But Coach Amy put it on my plan. So I went.   I changed my outfit about 10 times Thursday morning and then second guessed my choice about 50 times, so I packed a bag with options.  For a 5k!   I'm losing it.  I really am.  


It was about 27 degrees when I left the house, and I'm not a huge fan of running in the cold.  But I need to get over that!  But then I met up with the fabulous KVC running group.  A group I'm still new to.  But everything started to feel way better!    Lila and I decided to run together (damn, no pictures of Lila and I...blogger fail).   And then I felt far better!  




I will say this local race has a great feel to it.  Nearly 250 runners on a cold Thanksgiving morning in Maine, raising money for Cony Athletics is a great way to start off your Thanksgiving.  


Lila and I set a goal for somewhere between 24 & 25 minutes and we did it!    I finished in 24:44; 4th in my age group.  My last 5k in this age group.   Maybe.  There's still time to squeeze another one in before the end of February.  So who knows!   


Finishing a race with a friend and fellow Spandits Ambassador, Gretchen, is always worth a jump for joy!

How many of you ran a local Thanksgiving race?  Is it a tradition?  Something you look forward to every year?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!