April In Review & Looking Forward

May is here and it's hard to believe that I only have 27 more days of school left this year!  Very exciting!

What's even more exciting is that my mileage was an all time high for me for April!  I ended the month with 202 miles.  That's huge for me - considering my highest month for my fall marathon was 180 miles.





In terms of marathon training, the Hanson Method has been one ass-kicking plan and quite intensive.  The speed workouts have been challenging but doable, and the weekly mileage is definitely higher than I've done before.  I have made some minor tweaks to the plan, but nothing super major.  Or at least I hope not!   



Ward also used the Hanson Method to train for Boston.  After his race, he suggested to Wade and I that we add in a few higher mileage runs - like an 18 or 20.  So, a few weeks ago, Wade and I ran 20 miles together.  It was tough, but definitely a great boost in the mental capacity.  I also didn't feel as worn down after the run as I've felt in earlier 20-milers.  This Sunday I'm going to take on my final 18 or 20 miler - I say this because I'm going to go with how I feel.  If I start feeling that I'm overdoing it, especially being so close to marathon time, I'm going to stop and call Ward.  While I'd love to have a 2nd one under my belt, it's not worth hurting myself in the process.   


Today marks 17 days until Sugarloaf.  I'm feeling ready.  I'd really just like to fast forward through the next couple of weeks and get it done right now.  But I'm also nervous.  I want my bowels to agree with me - so that means I should probably not eat any onions, hot/spicy things, and just eat rice for the next couple of weeks.  I know that is not going to happen.  You would think this if I know those things don't agree with my system and running, I would avoid them, but somehow I continue to go back to those naughty foods.  

Sugarloaf Elevation Profile

I might be obsessing about the profile, course, lodging, food, clothing, and weather right now.  I know I should probably stop obsessing and focus on other things - like work, but it's far too exciting!  I really do like the elevation profile.   And the weather - well, I know I can't do anything about it.  I know I'm just going to have to go with the flow - obviously.  I'll have a few different outfits ready to go depending on what the weather brings us that day.  

Happy Friday everyone!  It's another gorgeous day out there, and I'll be heading out for 6 miles in a few minutes.  I'm so excited!  





Comments

  1. I cannot imagine a 200 mile month. Seriously, great job!

    And I cannot wait for school vacation either. My kids are needing to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You are a running beast! Literally 10 times the mileage I did for April. Slacker me isn't even at 200 for the year! I am so excited to see you cross that finish line ... I better run fast so you don't catch up to me! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the Hanson Method to train for my first marathon. The weekly mileage was a bit hard to keep up with, but I gave it my best shot. I regret that I didn't do the speed workouts like instructed, but I still had a great first marathon experience (minus the bubble guts) and finished under my goal. I plan to use it again when I start training for my second marathon in Honolulu and I'm feeling confident that I'm going to see a marked improvement in my overall time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on the mileage! When I was planning a Spring marathon, I had considered Sugarloaf - but ended up choosing Maine Coast Marathon in Kennebunk. Too bad, you could've been my first bloggy physical meeting!

    Hilarious (well, not really) about your food comment. I have some digestive challenges and usually sparked by things like onions, spicey, and worst, things like shrimp scampi. But I lovvvveeee shrimp scampi. So I order it occasionally and suffer in silence. Tough, but it's so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a record month! That is a lot of miles. You are going to do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved using the Hansons plan! My marathon is Sunday and I'm hoping that it goes really well. I loved the high monthly mileage - it made me feel so strong!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved using the Hansons plan! My marathon is Sunday and I'm hoping that it goes really well. I loved the high monthly mileage - it made me feel so strong!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I probably biked that far, but haven't run that far all year! Amazing! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great month!!

    Our marathons are on the same day, so we'll kind of be running together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with Sugarloaf this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!