Move It Monday #StrengthBuilding

Last spring, at Sugarloaf Marathon, I noticed that all of the women who were cruising through the marathon were incredibly buff.  Yeah, I was checking them out.   It's hard to not notice.

One of my goals in this marathon training cycle was to build up my upper body strength.  I admit, I don't have the upper body strength I thought I did.  

When the opportunity arose to try out the Work Horse, I had to try it out.  I've never been able to do a pull up.  Ever.  I've thought about getting a pull up bar to install in a doorway, but Ward adamantly said no.  And rightfully so.  I wouldn't want to install a pull up bar in any of our custom (he's a cabinet maker) doorways.    



The Work Horse was created by Dr. Len Lopez with over 17 years experience as a Chiropractic Sports Physician, Certified Clinical Nutritionist, Strength and Conditioning Coach, and Applied Kinesiologist.  He has trained world champion runners, sprinters, elite triathletes,  and marathoners.  
I also need to note, that his wife was a huge motivator in the development of the Work Horse as she was not going to let him install one of those doorway pull up bars in their house!  


Read Dr. Lopez's post "Why do you need strength training?"   



Putting together the Work Horse took less than 5 minutes.   



For workout ideas, check out Dr. Lopez's videos.   


I love that the Work Horse is made for pushups and pull-ups!  



My favorite workout has been the 5 minute workout consisting of 10 pull-ups, 10 pushups and repeating for 5 minutes.  Trying to see how many I can do in 5 minutes.  I've gotten up to 70 total so far.  Hoping to reach 100 soon!!!  

Another reason why I love Dr. Len is that he and his family love fitness as well!  Read his latest post about doing a 5k with his family.  I love to see families getting fit and staying fit together!  

What do you do for strength?  I am loving this addition to my workouts!  


Comments

  1. Cool addition! I have something similar called Lebert equalizers. I love them! I really need to get back to strength training. I have been lazy about it lately:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I'm glad to hear you like My WorkHorse and you're able to get the benefits of pull-ups without hampering your doorways or relationship with your husband. Those 5 Minute workouts are tough, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I am quite strong right now only because I'm coming off of intense bench press training. There's much to be said for strength!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have TOTALLY slacked off in the strength department, why is it ALWAYS the first thing I let go along with flexibility, stretching and core work. Think I need to get old Jillian and her 30 day shred out or something to kick my butt until I can motivate myself again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!