Staying Active While Sick and Staying Sane

Being sick is no fun! This week I had a really awesome back-to-back series of illnesses.  The stomach-bug hit me hard Tuesday/Wednesday and then I came down with an awful cold.  Which meant that I ran 1 time this week.  In the grand scheme of things, that's not a big deal.



It's taken me a long time to accept that it's okay to not push it and run through illnesses.   I've also gotten better at reading my body.  I used to push through a cold.  And sometimes I do.  Actually, sometimes running with a head cold does help me feel better.  But when I feel that cold settling into my chest, I know to steer clear of the running and take care of myself - being the asthmatic that I am and having a history of pneumonia and bronchitis.  

So what does one do when you are sick and want to be active?  

Yoga with Momentum Jewelry and Spandits tights.  Perfection!

Remember, you're body is sick.  If you are contagious.  Keep your body home and away from others so you're not spreading your germs.  Be aware of that.  If you do go out, please, please, please practice good hygiene - sanitize, cough into your elbow, you know the drill!  

Continue to run.  
Yes.  Some people continue to run.  But remember to listen to your body.  Don't overdo it or you'll slow down your recovery.   You may need to reduce your mileage and/or slow your pace.  If your body is saying NO RUNNING, listen!  A few days off, are not going to completely derail you.  You'll come back well rested and healthier and ready to take on those runs!  This week, I ran once.  It was horrendous.  I knew from that run that my body needed rest.  




Yoga.  
Yoga is an amazing exercise.  Slow, stretching, strength, balance, mind cleansing.... all amazing.  Just remember, if you have a head cold, your balance may be off a bit.  So if you are unable to hold balance poses that you were once able to, cut yourself some slack!  



Biking/Cycling.  
I wouldn't recommend going outside on a chilly day and getting chilled.  But if you have an indoor trainer or access to a gym with bikes, go for it!  Cycling is an excellent cardio workout that doesn't put a ton of stress on your body.  I highly recommend it!  



Elliptical.  
When I want the feel of running, but my body isn't 100% up to running, elliptical satisfies my craving.  Almost.  But at least it's a great cardio workout!  


Walking.  
Always an excellent form of exercise.  It's something the entire family can do together and fresh air does the body good!


Strength.  
I should be much better at incorporating strength into my workouts.  I definitely go in phases.  When I'm sick, I tend to want to do more strength because I just want to do something.  Anything.  So, if you're not as good at remembering strength, take advantage of your non-running time and get back at it!  



And remember, you still need to rest.  I feel that being sick is your body's way of telling you that you NEED rest!  Rest is completely okay!  and remember to hydrate (or rehydrate) with SOS Rehydrate!  





Tell me!  Are you a person who stops and listens to your body?  Or do you power through?  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!