I think training for a marathon is going to kill me

Okay, probably not.  I'm sure it won't. 


Today was supposed to be a 16-miler day.  BUT, since my running buddy is out of town, we are going to do our 16 miles on Monday.  I know I could do the 16 miles on my own, well, at least I think I can.  I just didn’t want to. 


My plan for next week was Monday -  5 miles, Tuesday – rest/x train, Wednesday – 8 miles, Thursday – 5 miles, Friday – rest/x train, Saturday – 18 miles, Sunday – rest/x –train. 


Since I completely suck at following plans, (I am sorry Jen and Terry!)  I opted to swap out the midweek 8 miler with today’s 16 miler and then push back next Saturday’s 18 miler to Sunday. 


So, now my plan looks like this…Monday – 16 miles, Tuesday – rest/x-train, Wednesday 5 –miles, Thursday – 5 miles or x-train, Friday – 5 miles or x-train, Saturday – rest/ eat, and Sunday – 18 miles. 


 What was I thinking when I signed up for a FULL marathon?  Jeez.  Is this the point when I’m supposed to start getting nervous, because I sure am!  Ward asked me today if I was going to be completely unbearable the week before the marathon and I said “yes, of course”.  I am getting super nervous about the 16 miles coming up on Monday, too.  I’ve only done two 14 milers before, so 16 will be embarking on new territory.  I know I have it in me.  At least I think I do! 


Anyway, as I said before, I did 8 miles today.  I went out at 10:30 so it was already quite warm and I didn’t want to overdo it knowing I have to double this distance in just 2 days, so I set my mind at a 9 minute pace.  I headed down to the rail trail and focused on an easy run.  There were tons of bikers down there and only a few runners.  About 3 miles into the run, there was a man on his bike sitting in the middle of the trail.  As I approached him I was feeling a bit nervous because this is a secluded part of the trail.  He kept looking up in the tree about 15 feet above him.  When I looked up, I saw the biggest bald eagle ever.  Well, it looked like the biggest one because it was definitely the closest I have ever been to one.  That eagle just sat there looking down at us- appearing to not care at all.  I’ve seen an eagle around that spot before – but closer to the water and on the other side of the train tracks.  It was amazing.  I stood there for a moment, said something about “today would have been a great day to have my camera” and the man agreed.  Then I took off running again.  I little bit further down the trail, I saw this huge shadow of a bird going over me and when I looked up, it was the eagle again.  What a spectacular site! 





Comments

  1. Wow, that's really cool to see an eagle that close! You can totally do this marathon, training and all! You are awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh that eagle is certainly a good omen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BabyWilt - that's what my father said about the eagle! :)

    Thank you, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome. Makes it all worth it. I agree with you on the whole "marathon training is going to kill me..."... ugh. LOL... I'm training for the MCM at the end of August....

    You can do it!!! We can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEW FOLLOWER!! Just found your blog :) :) :)

    The training won't kill you, I PROMISE!!!!! It just makes us CRAZY! In a good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool to see an eagle so close!
    No worries about the marathon. Training is hairy now. 16 is just 2 more than 14: 1 out and 1 back. You've got this.
    We are racing on the same day! 10/2!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!