Trying To Keep Taper Madness Away




It’s taper time and I am trying my absolute best to not go crazy or drive my family crazy. 
I want to run.  I want to get out there and just run forever.  Maybe not forever, but you get my drift.  Right?   But I need to give my legs a rest for the BIG DAY on Sunday.


So what’s a girl to do during taper week? 

1.  Short, easy runs.  Let's change that to 1 run.  Yep.  After my kick ass Tufts 10K, I was feeling a bit sore.  I did a 4 mile easy run on Wednesday and decided to call it good until Sunday.  

Of course the day I ran, it downpoured!  Poor Pepper.  She's a trooper.  


2.  Yoga.  For me, yoga is the perfect way to ease my mind and stretch those tired muscles.   Plus, I can get the kids involved.  



3. Eat AND Hydrate.  Just because you aren’t running a whole lot this week doesn’t mean you should stop eating.  You need to nourish your body for the big day. I drink a gallon of water a day.  The past couple of days I've upped my electrolyte intake as well - with Nuun and EmergenC because it seems like everyone around me had a cold and I was going to do everything I could to keep it away!

Mmmmm..... Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup.  


4. Go shopping, pack, and put together a fun little activity bag for the kids (that I'll surprise them with marathon morning) - because there will be a lot of waiting.  A LOT.  And they are just awesome kids
anyway.

Hopefully they like it!  Yes - kazoos - because I won't be with them for the 4 (or more) hours!
 I actually threw a cowbell in the bag too.  Ha!  Poor Ward.  

the start of my packing



 5.  Rest!  I know, this is hard to do, but it is necessary.  I'm forcing myself to get into bed by 9 tonight and tomorrow night.  I know I'm not going to be asleep, but at least I'll start to relax.   Maybe tomorrow night I'll have myself a beer to help me REST.  

Now I'm off to decide what to wear.  Since the weather isn't going to go along with what I want, I am going to shift my outfit plans a bit. No biggie.  And I need to find a throw-away shirt.  I'm sure I'll find one in my closet or drawer.

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Comments

  1. Betsy from Warrior Betsy did a funny post on the taper crazies (I linked to it Wed). It's so funny to me how crazy we all get about tapering. Why is it so hard???? Runners are a funny funny lot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Not that you need luck, you'll do great! Bummer about the weather--it's really messing up a bunch of fall stuff. We were supposed to go to Gardiner last night for a youth field hockey game but I guess the field was under water... so we didn't go. obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck this weekend! I hate that the weather isn't going to be what you were hoping for. It looks like the kids will have a lot of fun things to keep themselves entertained the morning of the race. I'm sure Ward will love the cowbell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tapering.... right now that has made me use my afternoon to make potato soup, homemade frozen yogurt and pumpkin muffins from scratch... I think I'll go for a little walk now too.. Gotta try to keep busy but relaxed all at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My taper has been so odd this time too! (I only tapered for a week since I've only had 6 weeks of "actual" training, haha!) Looking forward to tomorrow and the cold and rain (BLAH!) Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the activities you packed for the kids. I love that my husband has to do all the work for my 4+ hour races. They usually have more fun than I anticipate.

    Way to listen to your body this week and get some rest. A fast 10k will take a lot out of you but it also gets your legs ready to run hard. Good luck tomorrow, I am so excited to hear how it goes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rest up girl! You got this one! Good luck...even though I don't think you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did a great job with your taper, can't wait to read all about the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that your kids do yoga with you. That's just awesome. :D

    I hope the marathon went well! I think you tapered perfectly for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!