Tufts 10K Race Report



On Monday I had the pleasure of being part of Team Reebok at the Tufts 10K in Boston. 


Team Reebok

And I had the opportunity to meet up with some fellow FitFluential gals. 

Katie, Dani, Robin, Amy and myself

I went into this race with some very loose expectations.  I really just wanted to have a fun run and hopefully finish in about 49 minutes.   I was not looking for a PR at all.  I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I had no idea what the course was like and I do not have a whole lot of experience running in a larger race.  I’ve only done Beach to Beacon twice and it is quite difficult dodging fellow racers and trying to find my pace.  Plus, my main focus right now is MDI. 

Around 11:15 runners were called to start lining up.  So, I kissed Ward and the kids, they wished me luck and I headed off to the 8 minute pace group.  It was crazy just hanging out there for such a long time.  I wanted to warm up, but was afraid that if I left my area, I’d never get back.  So, I just stayed there.  I did do quite a few stretches.  I had plenty of time.  Then I stood there, with the my butterflies NOT flying in formation.  My emotions were all over the place.  It was driving me batty.  One moment I was beyond excited to run, the next I was near tears.  What the heck is wrong with me? 

After what seemed like forever, the announcer started introducing the elite runners.  This part got me a little more excited for the race.  I especially got excited when my running idol, Joan Benoit Samuelson, was announced.  Shortly after that, the announcer had the runners head to the starting line area.  Shortly after that, the race started.  I wanted so badly to see Ward and the kids.  But there were so many people lining the streets, it was absolutely overwhelming.  Plus, starting out in such a large race, it was quite difficult to maneuver myself around all of the runners while trying to find my pace. 

About a 1/3rd of a mile into the race, I spotted a bright red, very familiar jacket to my left.  I wanted to burst into tears I was so excited.  There was my family!!!!  I shouted to them, told them I loved them, then I was off!!! 

This course was flat. The weather was perfect.  My Team Reebok outfit felt incredible. I felt fantastic. It was just an all around excellent race! 

As I was coming to the finish, I spotted Ward and the kids again!  My lucky day.  I wanted so badly to go over and give them high fives, but I didn’t want to take any runners out to get over to them.  I knew I’d see them shortly.   



As I rounded the final corner and with the finish line in sight, I put in a final surge.  I was pushing harder than I had ever pushed before in a 10K.   It felt amazing.  I crossed the finish line with my Garmin reading 46:39. (Official results are 46:30 - I'll go with the official results.)   I wanted to jump up and down in excitement, but 1st I had to shake Joan’s hand.   I held back all urges to tell her how much I loved her and simply said “thank you, Joan”.  I am such a dork. 

My splits:  7:37, 7:35, 7:25, 7:34, 7:29, 7:12, last 0.2 - 6:54.  

I walked through the chute, gathered up as much food/drinks as I could and headed up to the top of the hill and waited for the family to arrive.  We hung out for a little bit, and then started off on a little walk around Boston, grabbed some food and then got back on the T.  It was a long day, but one incredible day to race and to spend time with my family in Boston. 




I really enjoyed this race and the opportunity to be part of a great team.  Thank you Team Reebok and Fitfluential.  Next year, I'd love to have a group of my friends head down to do this race.   



I did receive an entry to the race and Reebok apparel for a training run as well as for the race compliments of Reebok.  All opinions in this post are 100% my own.  

Comments

  1. Congrats on an AMAZING race. You are already fast and I bet you will be running Boston a lot sooner than you think with those speedy legs. So glad to meet you yesterday and hope we can run another race together again. Good luck at MDI!!!! I am so excited to hear how it goes. And yes, shaking Joan's hand at the end was by far one of my favorite parts of the race. I can't stop smiling thinking that she congratulated me on my race. AHHH!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! Looking forward to another race with you someday down the road! & I'd love nothing more than to BQ - someday. I have more work to do.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow - you go speed racer!! Awesome job and I love the recap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gotta love it when you aren't expecting great mile times but they come all on your own! Way to rock it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rocked this race! Congratulations on such a speedy run!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You kicked that 10k's bootay, girl! Dang that is FAST! Way to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl!!!! Now resting up to see what I have for MDI.

      Delete
  6. wonderful job at a terrific race!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! That's awesome! I'm the same way on most race days - happy, nervous, on the verge of tears. What a roller coaster! And isn't Joan great? I was the same when I met her. All I could say was THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations again! What an amazing day for all of Team Reebok FFAs! It was great to see you and hopefully we will find ourselves running another race together. I'm still hoping to do Beach to Beacon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Jen you did great and this weekend is MDI you are ready!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this report! Your excitement shines through! Congrats again MY running idol. Love the hint in the last paragraph...I am dying to go sub-50. This sounds like a great course to PR on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful!!!! What an amazing time, so fast, and sounds like it was more than just a race but an experience. So happy for you and wish I had been there to meet you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow! That's an awesome, super fast time! Great job! I bet having your family there was amazing... :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are speedy - wow! Great job! Love the Tufts race - one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a strong race, Jen- congrats!! You really ran smart and well. Sounds like such a fun race experience with all the FFA girls, your family there and Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!! What an awesome race and a great time! So great to have your family there too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice job! So glad all of you had such a wonderful time at the race.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on a great race! You are super speedy and I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!