Marathon Training Check -In

Where in the world did July go?   I cannot believe that it's over and tomorrow is August 1st! 

Marathon training is in full swing at this point. I just finished week 7.   Week 7?  Really?   I only recapped Week 1 here.  Instead of boring you to death, I'm just going to skip ahead to week 7.

I've completely changed my plan and I've decided to mesh Train Like a Mother with Ward's plan. As I was following TLAM's plan, I noticed Ward's plan still hanging by the calendar and thought "why not?". His plan was rather intense (for me) and called for several 50+ mile weeks. Eeek! I'm not there yet. I will be, but not right now. So I modified it to call for 40+ mile weeks. Let's just call it a happy medium. His plan also has 5, 20 milers in there. I am going to up the anti a little there and shoot for a few of those to be 21 or 22 milers.

This past Sunday I did run my first 20+ run and ended up with 21.5 miles! I was terribly nervous going into the run knowing my last two long runs, I've had some icky bowel issues and had to stop 3 times for each run to use the woods/porta-potties. Not fun and not how I want to spend my time at MDI. I've come to the conclusion that the reason behind those pottie trips were due fuel. Mostly because the need to go to the bathroom came on immediately after eating my shot bloks or sport beans.

On Sunday, I brought Honey Stingers. They worked for me before and I was hoping that they would work for me again. I would call it a success because I only went to the woods/porta-pottie 2 times (an improvement) and I didn't have to go immediately after eating the Honey Stingers. I was also nervous because I was running solo. Carrie had already done her 20 miler (actually did 20.5 miles) and Jill was away at her high school reunion.

To sum it up, the run was awesome! My pace was between an 8:50 and 9:08 pace for a majority of the run. I do admit that I did walk 1 hill. Now if you saw the hill, you would completely understand why. It's the same hill Carrie and I walked for our 18 miler. It's super steep and it's about a 1/4 of a mile long. It hurts to walk up the hill. So I chose to refuel and hydrate on the hill. That was my only walking break for the entire run.  Yay me. 

 
The best part of the entire run???  When I came into the driveaway and Ward was standing on the steps cheering me on.  He really is the best.  My legs were cramping up, I was tired.  I barely got out "please fill the pool for my ice bath" before he was taking care of me.  Yes, I soaked in Izzy's pool (what used to be a sandbox) again.  It felt heavenly.   

How's your training going?  I want to know!

Comments

  1. What great support you have! I agree... where did July go!?!?! Last Friday was my first day of training for the Marine Corp Marathon and I started it off with a 15.4 mile hilly run! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Good idea using the kiddie pool:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the training, I do find it needs to be slightly adaptable so you can push or pull back a little where needed ... you know in my "*year* and no marathon run" experience ;-) I'm considering a kiddie pool for ice baths but worried now that TJ the duck might challenge me for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job! My training is eh... not really happening.. I need to figure something out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome training! I'm only up to 13 miles as my long run so far... a trip to Europe for 2 weeks put me back a little but I'm hoping I can get in 2 20-milers... fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a great run. You are going to do so great in your marathon. You and I train so much alike, we would be great training partners. I don't have anyone out here yet, so everything I do is solo. I am going to Pin your picture to my #Fitnessbucket the caption will say "I want her as my running buddy" fingers crossed for your new job endeavor, praying that the "right" thing happens for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rock on lady!! Nice pace for a long long run. I'm tired thinking about it LOL. How fun that he cheered you at the end. We had some older gentlemen cheer us on yesterday morning during our 6.5 mile run. Can we just have roving aide stations and cheering squads to help us push through????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome progress! I bet you felt amazing after that ice bath! Wishing you the best and keep up the great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great run and I have a feeling I know which hill you are talking about in Gardner! You are going to really rock MDI, hopefully it is a day like today mid 60's light showers :-). I will decide on a fall marathon or not after next Monday's run, I want to see how my knees feel after a 20 mile run. More important for me to run one next year than this :-).

    Keep doing a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a ROCKSTAR (and my hero)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great run! As nice as it is to have training partners, running a solo 20 miler (excuse me 21.5 miler), is good for you. You kept a great pace! I love tough training plans. When I was serious I used to do up to 25 milers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GET IT GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice run!!! I can't wait to get back to that point where those 20 mile runs are "fun" and empowering. I've only done 50+ mile weeks for marathon training once, but I LOVED it. Once you body gets used to it, you feel so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Oh Kierston - your training is insane! I don't know if I could keep up with you and your badass-ness!!!

      Delete
  15. Awesome! I'm training for my first half and have just started having tummy issues...dealing the best I can and tweaking my diet to try and help :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. uhhh...the tummy issues. I have been having major ones this year. I read a blog post the other day with someone that uses imodium(sp?) on their long run days. I am thinking of trying it. I have tried to change diet etc...and it just doesn't always work. Good luck training. You are going to rock MDI.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey SPA! I tagged you in one of my posts, I hope you participate! http://cupcakesrun.blogspot.com/2012/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so amazing! I hope to run with you soon. It seems like that 18-miler was forever ago!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep up the great work! I love that Ward was standing there cheering you on!

    Our training is going pretty well, we do have to rearrange things a little bit the next week because we are going to Maine :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!