Powered by Plants

I was given the opportunity to review the Vega Sport.  I had been reading so much about Vega in the blog world and couldn’t wait to try out what Vega had to offer. 


Vega was developed by Brandon Brasier, professional Ironman triathlete.  He is also a best-selling author of plant-based nutrition.

The Vega Sport performance system is 100% plant-based, free from dairy, gluten and soy.  It does not contain any artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners.  Perfect for my Clean Food Challenge peeps out there.




Vega offers a comprehensive 3 stage system when it comes before, during, and after training. Actually, Vega breaks it down like this.  

Prepare:  Pre-Workout Energizer

flavors available: lemon lime and acai berry

Sustain:   Electrolyte Hydrator, Endurance Gel, Endurance Bar   


Electrolyte Hydrator Flavors: Lemon Lime and Pom-Berry.
Endurance Gel Flavors: Raspberry, Orange Zest.
Endurance Bar Flavors: Mocha, Acai Berry. 

Recover:  Recovery Accelerator, Protein Bar, Performance Protein

Recovery Accelerator: Apple Berry and Tropical.
Protein Bar: Chocolate Coconut and Chocolate SaviSeed.
Performance Protein: Vanilla, Chocolate, Berry.


I broke out the Vega for my 12 mile run with the girls this past Sunday. 


What I tried:
-       The pre-run drink is to be drunk 20 minutes prior to exercise.  Inside the package was a very handy chart.  Since we were running in Carrie’s neighborhood, it meant drinking on the way.  I tried the Pre-Workout Energizer in Lemon-Lime.   I really liked the flavor.  It light flavor and not overpowering.  I did not feel the need to drink anything else on the run, so I think it helped me with hydration.
-       At our refuel, walk break on a rather large hill, I tried the Orange Zest Endurance Gel.  First off, I noticed it was larger than other gels I've had before.  I had never had an Orange flavored gel and was intrigued by the flavor.  I did like the taste but it had some small flecks of something in it that threw me off.  I also brought along the Mocha Endurance Bar just in case I didn’t like the orange gel.  But since I did, I offered the bar to the girls.  Carrie and Jess both tried the bar.  Carrie said it was okay.  She didn’t really taste a lot of chocolate but could definitely taste pumpkin in it.  I love pumpkin!  I should not have given it away.   The handy chart suggests refueling between 1 and 3 hours.  
-       After the run, I immediately mixed up the Recovery Accelerator in Tropical.  This one was absolutely delicious.   It was very sweet, but incredibly yummy. The chart recommended taking this immediately after the workout (within 30-45 minutes).  
-       When I got home, I mixed up the Chocolate Performance Protein.  This one I wasn’t too impressed with.  I mixed it with water per instructions on the packet, but it had a very chalky flavor to it.    Maybe mixing it with milk or coconut water would taste better.  I’m not sure.   The chart did recommend taking this 30-60 minutes post-workout or up to 1 hour after taking the Recovery Accelerator.  

Bottom line – I liked everything but the protein powder.   I still have 2 more proteins samples to go, maybe I’ll like those flavors more.  I am quite optimistic and hopeful for this since I did like the other pieces to the Vega package. 

How did Vega make me feel?  After only using it one day, it’s hard to say.  However, this was an incredibly challenging run for me.  I had been out of running for 5 days a few weeks back and recovering from pneumonia and the 12 mile run was my first long run since the illness wiped me out.  In addition to this being my first long run in a long time, the side of the road was quite sloped and my IT band and knees ached so badly after the run.  Actually, Stacy and Jill had the same aches and pains after the run as well, so I feel quite confident blaming it on the side of the road.  We did a lot of jumping off the road to avoid oncoming cars as well and the jump from the road to the shoulder had quite an angle and we were jumping onto gravel that was loose at times.  Saying that, and acknowledging my aches after the run, then add in that I used the Vega recovery products, I’d say I recovered quite well.  By early afternoon, my IT band and knees no longer ached and I haven’t felt even the slightest twinge of discomfort coming from them all week.  Yes, I was wearing my compression gear, but I felt recovered much earlier in the day than times before when I only wore compression.  For that, thank you Vega.  

If you are interesting in trying to win your own Vega Package and an incredible Adventure Getaway, head on over to Vega Sport and enter their sweepstakes.   5 winners are chosen weekly.  

Comments

  1. I really need to try more Vega stuff, I foolishly purchased the vanilla chai meal replacement protein thing and it's so gross, it's way way too sweet and I can't eat it, I keep trying and I can't do it. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer in Acai Berry. Amazed at how much it helps out! Will admit I'm not a fan of the Performance Protein either. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to try some of these things.. entered the Sweepstakes. Thanks for the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Thanks for sharing your bar with me and sorry my road sucks...it's okay for one or two, but six people is a lot to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review-- I've been curious about their products, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!