January Thaw Race Recap

Today, Carrie and I ran the January Thaw 4.5 mile race.  At the start of the race it was 20 degrees F (but the windchill brought it to about 6 degrees).



There were approximately 31 runners who braved the cold and icy conditions to get out and run this challenging loop.  Registration took place in the Belgrade Elementary cafeteria and that is where everyone hung out before the race.  Carrie and I did get outside and did a 1/2 mile warmup, but quickly returned to cafeteria to stay warm.




I got the chance to meet Harold, another Maine blogger at the race as well.  Read his post about today's race.  This man an inspiration to me, he was told he was never going to run again, but look, here he is.  And today was his re-entry to the racing world.  He hasn't run a race since 1986!

                          
                                   gotta love a field this size

Just before the race started, I gulped down my Zipfizz because I really wanted those magical powers to help me out today.  Then the race director made the announcement for us to get to the starting line, so hesitantly, we got back outside and lined up.


and we're off!
What I wore
I was so excited to be sporting my new Sugoi jacket I picked up at TJ Maxx last night ($40), and new gray midweight tights ($13 clearance!).  I was also sporting my new L.L. Bean Cresta shirt, Tommie Copper Hat, Wright Socks Merino, and Under Armor Winter running gloves (you know the ones with the little fleece spot to wipe your nose - and I used it a lot today.  The gloves are in the washing machine as I type this.)  I was definitely comfortable for the race in my choice for running gear today.  I also chose to not race with my iPod.  A first for me.


at the top of the long ass hill, before the 3 mile marker - it really all downhill from there!  

Last year I ran this race for the 1st time.  If memory serves me correctly, it was about the same temperature but the road conditions were a lot worse.  We had gotten hit with a sizable blizzard the day before.  Yes, we had a storm this week, but it was on Thursday, so the town had an extra day to get the roads cleared.  The only extra challenge today was with that storm, we had bouts of freezing rain and hail.  As you probably can imagine, there were some slick spots.  But again, nothing like last year.



I went into this race just hoping to do better than last year (37:16).   Normally, I will rest for 2 days prior to a race.  Even a 5k.  But, I couldn't really go and do that with my January Streak going on, so I did settle on doing 1 milers on Thursday and Friday.


Imagine my surprise when I came into the finish line with a time of 33:52!  (3:24 FASTER than last year!), with an average pace of 7:31.  I came in 10th overall and 3rd woman.  So I have a new PR!!!     Carrie was right on my heals and came in 12th, 4th woman.  Way to go, Carrie!!!  

Start of January Thaw Race - Video #1 -  I love this one because it captures the laid back charm of a small town race & I love that David followed the runners in his car and video taped us.  You can totally spy Carrie & I coming up because we're sporting our awesome yellow gear!

Finish Line - Video #2

All in all, a great, fun race.   I love the small community races we have in Maine.

All photos and videos are courtesy of David Colby Young of Maine Running Photos.  

Comments

  1. Brrrr. That sounds so fun! I love the smaller races. Nice work on your PR! Gotta love gloves with a place to wipe your nose:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That is super speedy, lady!!!! Way to go in the freezing cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great running! Big thumbs up to all of you for getting out there in such cold weather and getting a PR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job! The videos were awesome better than any marathon video I have been in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for racing in those cold temps - don't know if I could do it! And congrats on a new PR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on earning a new PR and in those conditions!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the race especially in the cold and with the storm!  It does look cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY, well done girls, fantastic race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome!  I complain when I have to wear long pants and long sleeves to run and you're out there in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!!!  There is definitely something to be said about small races. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. What seemed cold for yesterday's race would have been quite welcome today when the girls & I went out for our long run!  When I left my house, the thermometer read -12F! 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta love a PR!!!  Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They were quite nice!  David Colby is an excellent photographer.  I had no idea he had a video camera going and taking pictures at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, cold, but colder today!  I know you'll be getting your cold tomorrow.  Brrr....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carrie & I rocked it!!!    Thank you, Lara!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We've been out there in much worse.  I bet you have far hotter running conditions than we have and I'd be complaining about them!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice job! Ive quit running outside for now... too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome job on your PR! :) As a NH runner/blogger, I can feel your pain on the weather this weekend! It sure was chilly for our Cabin Fever 5k on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats!! That is amazing that you braved the cold AND got a PR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!