Roasted Root Veggie Soup

Stacy is the sweetest friend ever.  When I went over to her house last week, she handed me some of her food share yummies. 


 
I couldn’t wait to get home and make something yummy with them.  But I didn’t know what.  Then I remembered her mentioning a roasted root veggie soup.  I love veggies, I love them roasted, why not? 


So, I peeled, diced, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled some salt on top and popped them in the oven.  But not before adding in some of my own frozen food share purple and orange carrots from the summer.   Oh, and I did add a regular sweet onion from the grocery store.  I roasted them on low, about 350F for 1 hr and boy did it smell delightful! 


Ward actually came home just as I pulled the roasted yumminess out of the oven and tasted a beet.  I need to add here that he hates beets.  However, apparently, he enjoys roasted beets.  If I would have known this, I would have been roasting them all along.  


Anyway, back to the soup.  I added the roasted veggies to a pot of chicken stock and water and let it simmer on low for about 45 minutes.  I couldn't wait to dig into it.  


I love how the beets turned everything a beautiful shade of red/purple.  Result - super delicious soup, easy to make (just roast any type of veggies basically and add to chicken stock/water and simmer), good for you and low in calories.  What was even better is there were leftovers for me to warm up at school today.  

I need to give you a running update, of course!!!  Today is day 9 of my running streak, but only the 4th day of January.  Boy I have a long way to go on this January Streak.  I actually started the streak back on the 27th of December because I had that 1300 mile goal on my mind and that ran right into the January Streak.  I know I can do it if I take it easy every so often, like tonight.  I opted to get in a mile run (well, 1.1 miles to be exact, I wasn't paying attention to the Garmin).  And the temperature wasn't as cold as last night, 17F with very little wind.  Then I came home and biked for 30 minutes (9 miles).  It was a down day but enough to feel like I did something productive.  If I can do it, so can you!!!  






Comments

  1. This looks sooooo good. I love all your recipes. I need to add more veg to my diet. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming back from a knee injury, so I'm a little nervous to try a streak...I feel like I need my rest day now.

    But your recipe looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks awesome!! I am bookmarking it now!  I was just telling my hubby that I need to find some good recipes for veggies - we have fallen into a rut of eating the same things all the time!  I've never made anything with root veggies!!  Thanks so much for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one easy way to get them in there!  I hope you enjoy. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking care of yourself is far more important! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!  I hope you enjoy. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum that soup looks great. I love root veggies. For your running streak, are you trying to run everyday for the entire month for January?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup looks yummy! I might have to try that someday. 

    Good luck with your running streak!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am!  I'm actually on reposting the streak rules tomorrow! :)  but here's the link http://www.runningwiththegirls.com/2011/12/goodbye-2011-challenges.html
    Thank you for coming by.  

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you should!  Super easy.  :)  

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious - I'm always looking for great soup recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGEEEE that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment and I will respond!

Popular posts from this blog

The (Wright) Right Socks for ME! + Giveaway

I GLOW + giveaway

Tommie Rocks + Giveaway!